See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
diaphragm. Symptoms vary, but may include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and small bowel obstruction. In many cases, there are no symptoms and the interposition is an incidental finding. When no symptoms are present, the clinical finding is called Chilaiditi's sign.. The underlying cause of Chilaiditi syndrome is unknown. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.Chilaiditi syndrome is a medical condition in which a portion of the colon is abnormally positioned between the liver and the
Last updated: 2/1/2016
- Boros MJ. Chilaiditi’s Syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2013; http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/chilaiditis-syndrome/.
- Jangouk P, Zaidi F, Hashash JG. Chilaiditi's Sign: A Rare Cause of Abdominal Pain. ACG Case Rep J. 2014; 1(2):70-71. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4435277/.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Chilaiditi syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Jangouk P, Zaidi F, Hashash JG. Chilaiditi's Sign: A Rare Cause of Abdominal Pain ACG Case Rep J. 2014 Jan;1(2):70-71.