Other Names for this Disease
- Invasive Candidiasis
- Systemic candida infections
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
antibiotics. In some cases, the infection spreads to one or more internal organ (called disseminated candidiasis) such as the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), kidneys, liver, bones, muscles, joints, spleen, and/or eyes. Systemic candidiasis is extremely rare in people who do not have risk factors for the condition. Treatment typically consists of oral or intravenous (IV) antifungal medications.Systemic candidiasis occurs when Candida yeast enters the bloodstream, where it can spread to different parts of the body and cause infection. Common features of candidemia (Candida infection of the bloodstream) include fever and chills that do not improve with
Last updated: 4/5/2015
- Jose A Hidalgo, MD. Candidiasis. Medscape Reference. October 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/213853-overview.
- Invasive Candidiasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. February 2014; http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/invasive/index.html.
- You can obtain information on this topic from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC is recognized as the lead federal agency for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The Merck Manual provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Merck Manual for health care professionals provides information on Systemic candidiasis.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Systemic candidiasis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.