Benign multicystic peritoneal mesothelioma
Other Names for this Disease
- Benign cystic peritoneal mesothelioma
- Multilocular peritoneal inclusion cysts
- Multilocular peritoneal cysts
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Surgery to remove the cystic lesions is the only effective treatment for BMPM. Aggressive surgical approaches are often recommended. Hormonal therapy has also been attempted in individual cases with variable degrees of success. Most affected individuals do not undergo chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy because these tumors are usually benign.
Last updated: 4/21/2011
- Pitta X et al.. Benign multicystic peritoneal mesothelioma: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2010; 4:385. http://jmedicalcasereports.com/content/4/1/385. Accessed 4/21/2011.
- Safioleas MC et al.. Benign multicystic peritoneal mesothelioma: A case report and review of the literature. World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 21(35):5739-5742. http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/12/5739.pdf. Accessed 4/21/2011.