Postorgasmic illness syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Post orgasmic sick syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
semen is released from the penis). The associated symptoms typically reach their peak severity on the second day and gradually resolve within a week. Although the exact underlying cause is not well understood, some scientists believe the condition may be due to a semen allergy or chemical imbalances in the brain. Limited information is available on the treatment and management of POIS.Postorgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) is a condition in which affected men develop flu-like symptoms approximately 30-60 minutes after ejaculation (when
Last updated: 4/7/2015
- Farley SJ. Postorgasmic illness syndrome. Nat Rev Urol. March 2011; 8(3):121.
- Waldinger MD, Meinardi MM, Schweitzer DH. Hyposensitization therapy with autologous semen in two Dutch caucasian males: beneficial effects in Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS; Part 2). J Sex Med. April 2011; 8(4):1174-1176.
- Jiang N, Xi G, Li H, Yin J.. Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS) in a Chinese Man: No Proof for IgE-Mediated Allergy to Semen. J Sex Med. March 2015; 12(3):840-845.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Postorgasmic illness syndrome. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
On this page
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Postorgasmic illness syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.