Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia
Other Names for this Disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 Signs and symptoms include a painless neck mass. Many people with mucoepidermoid carcinomas are women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The prevalence of SMECE is unknown, but only around 50 cases have been described in the medical literature. SMECE most commonly presents between 40 to 75 years of age. SMECE was initially considered a "low-grade" tumor, however cases of SMECE spreading locally to lymph nodes and to distant organs have been described. While data is limited, with treatment it appears that prognosis is typically good.Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia (SMECE) is a type of cancer that most commonly affects the thyroid gland, but has been reported in the salivary gland as well.
Last updated: 5/20/2015
- Kobayashi Y et al.,. Local recurrence of sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia in the upper lip: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2015 Feb 24; 9:41. Accessed 5/20/2015.
- Frazier WD, Patel NP, Sullivan CA. Pathology quiz case 1. Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia (SMECE). Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Mar; 134(3):333, 335. Accessed 5/20/2015.
- Das S, Kalyani R. Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia of the thyroid. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2008 Jan-Mar; 51(1):34-6. Accessed 5/20/2015.
- Quiroga-Garza G et al.,. Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia of the thyroid: more aggressive than previously reported. Hum Pathol. 2015 May; 46(5):725-31. Accessed 5/20/2015.
- Tasaki T et al.,. Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia of the salivary gland: case report and review of the literature. Pathol Int. 2013 Feb; 63(2):125-31.
On this page
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.