Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia
Other Names for this Disease
- Idiopathic bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia
- Idiopathic BOOP
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
idiopathic interstitial pneumonia characterized by lung inflammation and scarring that obstructs the small airways and air sacs of the lungs (alveoli). Signs and symptoms may include flu-like symptoms such as cough, fever, malaise, fatigue and weight loss. COP often affects adults in midlife (40 to 60 years of age). The exact underlying cause of the condition is unknown (idiopathic). Treatment varies based on the severity of the condition but generally includes glucocorticoids.Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP) is a form of
Last updated: 12/21/2015
- Harold R. Collard. Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia. Merck Manual. 2015; http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung-and-airway-disorders/interstitial-lung-diseases/cryptogenic-organizing-pneumonia.
- Cordier JF. Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia. Clin Chest Med. December 2004; 25(4):727-738.
- Talmadge E King, Jr, MD. Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia. UpToDate. December 2014; Accessed 7/16/2015.
- Bronchiolitis Obliterans Organizing Pneumonia. NORD. 2013; http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/bronchiolitis-obliterans-organizing-pneumonia/.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Merck Manual for health care professionals provides information on Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.