Other Names for this Disease
- Double upper lip, blepharochalasis and enlargement of the thyroid
- Ascher's syndrome
- Blepharochalasis - double lip
- Blepharochalasis and double lip
- Blepharochalasis-double lip syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
goiter). The underlying cause of this condition is unknown. Most cases are sporadic, but familial cases suggestive of autosomal dominant inheritance have also been reported. The condition is often undiagnosed due to its rarity. Treatment may include surgical excision of the double lip and/or surgery for eyelid edema.Ascher syndrome is a rare condition characterized by a combination of episodic edemea or swelling of the eyelids (blepharochalasia), double lip, and nontoxic thyroid enlargement (
Last updated: 2/29/2016
- Ascher syndrome. Orphanet. April 2015; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=en&Expert=1253.
- Ramesh BA. Ascher syndrome: Review of literature and case report. Indian J Plast Surg. 2011 Jan-Apr; 44(1):147-149. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111109/.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Ascher Syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Ramesh BA. Ascher syndrome: Review of literature and case report Indian J Plast Surg. 2011 Jan;44(1):147-9.
- de Andrade Santos PP, Alves PM, Freitas VS, de Souza LB. Double Lip Surgical Correction in Ascher's Syndrome: Diagnosis and Treatment of a Rare Condition Clinics. 2008 Oct;63(5):709-712.