Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome
- AR hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome
- Autosomal recessive HIES
- Autosomal recessive hyper-IgE syndrome
- DOCK8 deficiency
In contrast to AD-HIES, the AR variant is further characterized by extreme hypereosinophilia (increase in the eosinophil count in the bloodstream); susceptibility to viral infections such as Herpes simplex and Molluscum contagiosum; involvement of the central nervous system; T-cell defects; and a high death rate. The dental, skeletal, connective tissue, and facial features present in AD-HIES are absent in AR-HIES. AR-HIES is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion and is caused by mutations in the DOCK8 gene.
- Woellner C & Grimbacher B. Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Orphanet. June 2012; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=169446. Accessed 1/14/2014.
- Hyper-IgE Recurrent Infection Syndrome, Autosomal Recessive. Online Mendelian Inheritance of Man (OMIM). June 21, 2013; http://omim.org/entry/243700. Accessed 1/14/2014.
- The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) provides information related to the health of children, adults, and families. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Autosomal recessive hyper IgE syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.