Other Names for this Disease
- Follicular lichen planus
- Frontal fibrosing alopecia (subtype)
- Kossard disease
- Lichen planopilaris classic type
- Lichen planus follicularis
Your QuestionWhat is most effective treatment and cure for lichen planopilaris?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Unfortunately, there is not yet a cure for lichen planopilaris. Treatment depends on how much of the scalp is affected and how quickly the condition progresses. Steroid creams or injections are often the first therapy. Steroid medications such as isotretinoin (Accutane) or hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) may be taken to treat more severe cases. If the lichen planopilaris does not improve with steroid treatments, various other medications, especially cyclosporine and mycophenolate mofetil, have been tried with some success.
Last updated: 10/18/2012
- Kang H, Alzolibani AA, Otberg N, Shapiro J. Lichen planopilaris. Dermatologic Therapy. 2008; 21:249-256. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18715294. Accessed 10/16/2012.
- Lichen Planus. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. 2012; http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/lichen_planus.html. Accessed 10/16/2012.
- Assouly P, Reygagne P. Lichen planopilaris: update on diagnosis and treatment. Seminars in cutaneous medicine and surgery. 2009; 28:3-10. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19341936. Accessed 10/18/2012.