Limb-body wall complex
Other Names for this Disease
- Short umbilical cord syndrome
- Umbilical cord, short
- Body stalk anomaly
- Aplasia of the cord
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
congenital condition that is characterized by abnormalities in the anterior body wall (chest and belly) and/or limbs (arms and legs). Other signs and symptoms may include facial clefts; a short or missing umbilical cord; scoliosis; neural tube defects; and abnormalities of the urogenital organs (i.e. kidney, bladder, and/or genitals). The exact underlying cause of LBWC is currently unknown. Unfortunately, there is no cure for LBWC and it is generally considered to be incompatible with life (fatal).Limb-body wall complex (LBWC) is a
Last updated: 4/2/2015
- Courtney D Stephenson, DO; Charles J Lockwood, MD, MHCM; Andrew P MacKenzie, MD. Body stalk anomaly and cloacal exstrophy. UptoDate. November 2014; Accessed 4/2/2015.
- Keerthi Kocherla, Vasantha Kumari, and Prasada Rao Kocherla. Prenatal diagnosis of body stalk complex: A rare entity and review of literature. Indian J Radiol Imaging. Jan-Mar 2015; 25(1):67-70. http://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.ezproxy.nihlibrary.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4329692/.
- Panduranga Chikkannaiah, Hema Dhumale, Ranjit Kangle, and Rosini Shekar. Limb Body Wall Complex: A Rare Anomaly. J Lab Physicians. Jan-Jun 2013; 5(1):65-67. http://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.ezproxy.nihlibrary.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758712/.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Limb-body wall complex. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.