Neonatal progeroid syndrome
Other Names for this Disease
- Progeroid syndrome neonatal
- Wiedemann Rautenstrauch syndrome
- Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch syndrome
syndrome characterized by an aged appearance at birth. Other signs and symptoms include intrauterine growth restriction, feeding difficulties, distinctive craniofacial features, hypotonia, developmental delay and mild to severe intellectual disability. In most cases, affected infants pass away before age 7 months, but rare reports exist of survival into the teens or early 20s. Although the exact underlying cause of neonatal progeroid syndrome is unknown, it is likely a genetic condition that is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.Neonatal progeroid syndrome is a rare genetic
Last updated: 4/15/2015
- Arboleda G, Morales LC, Quintero L, Arboleda H. Neonatal progeroid syndrome (Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch syndrome): report of three affected sibs. Am J Med Genet A. July 2011; 155A(7):1712-1715.
- Wiedemann Rautenstrauch Syndrome. NORD. 2010; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/1104/viewAbstract.
- Wiedemann-Rautenstrauch syndrome. Orphanet. March 2010; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=en&Expert=3455.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Neonatal progeroid syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.