- Mevalonate kinase deficiency
On this page
Reports of successful treatment of mevalonic aciduria through allogenic bone marrow transplantation have also surfaced. At this point, this therapy is investigational and potentially applicable to patients with mevalonic aciduria whose condition is resistant to therapy with anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., inhibitors of TNF-alpha and interleukin-1 beta).
The following articles provide additional details regarding treatment of mevalonic aciduria.
Nevyjel M, Pontillo A, Calligaris L, Tommasini A, D'Osualdo A, Waterham HR, Granzotto M, Crovella S, Barbi E, Ventura A. Diagnostics and therapeutic insights in a severe case of mevalonate kinase deficiency. Pediatrics. 2007 Feb;119(2):e523-7.
Neven B, Valayannopoulos V, Quartier P, Blanche S, Prieur AM, Debré M, Rolland MO, Rabier D, Cuisset L, Cavazzana-Calvo M, de Lonlay P, Fischer A. Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in mevalonic aciduria. N Engl J Med. 2007 Jun 28;356(26):2700-3.
Arkwright PD, Abinun M, Cant AJ. Mevalonic aciduria cured by bone marrow transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 27;357(13):1350.
- Bodar EJ, Kuijk LM, Drenth JP, van der Meer JW, Simon A, Frenkel J. On-demand anakinra treatment is effective in mevalonate kinase deficiency. Ann Rheum Dis. Dec 2011; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859689. Accessed 2/2/2012.
- Haas D, Hoffmann GF. Mevalonic aciduria. Orphanet. April 2006; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=403&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseGroup=Mevalonic-aciduria&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseType=Pat&Disease(s)/group%20of%20diseases=Mevalonic-aciduria&title=Mevalonic-aciduria&searc. Accessed 2/2/2012.
- Neven B, Valayannopoulos V, Quartier P, Blanche S, Prieur AM, Debré M, Rolland MO, Rabier D, Cuisset L, Cavazzana-Calvo M, de Lonlay P, Fischer A. Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplantation in Mevalonic Aciduria. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007; http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa070715#t=articleTop. Accessed 2/2/2012.
- Arkwright PD, Abinun M, Cant AJ. Mevalonic Aciduria Cured by Bone Marrow Transplantation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007; http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc072018. Accessed 2/2/2012.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Mevalonic aciduria. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.