Spinocerebellar ataxia 2
Other Names for this Disease
- SCA 2
- Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2
- Spinocerebellar atrophy 2
- Spinocerebellar ataxia Cuban type
- Olivopontocerebellar atrophy 2
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Your QuestionWhat type of diet is recommended for people with spinocerebellar ataxia type 2?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
While no dietary factors have been shown to decrease or reverse the symptoms of SCA 2, vitamin supplements are recommended, particularly if caloric intake in reduced. Alcohol and medications known to affect cerebellar function should be avoided. Weight control is important, as obesity can worsen problems with mobility. If swallowing becomes difficult, tests can help to identify the consistency of food least likely to trigger aspiration.
Last updated: 1/31/2014
- Pulst SM. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2. GeneReviews. August 1, 2013; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1275/. Accessed 1/31/2014.