Other Names for this Disease
- Precocious puberty, male limited
- Sexual precocity, familial, gonadotropin-independent
- Pubertas Praecox
- Familial Testotoxicosis (subtype)
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Decisions regarding treatment for patients with testotoxicosis are complex. Treatment typically consists of reducing hyperandrogenism in children (sexual maturation, stature) with ketoconazole or a combination of antiandrogens and aromatase inhibitors. Recently, the use of combination therapy with bicalutamide (a potent antiandrogen agent) and anastrozole or letrozole (third-generation aromatase inhibitors) was reported to yield encouraging short-term results, including slower growth rate.
Last updated: 2/29/2012
- Ferry RJ, Fenton CL, Poth MPM. Precocious Pseudopuberty. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/923876-overview. Accessed 2/29/2012.
- Carel JC. Testotoxicosis. Orphanet. 2005; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=3000. Accessed 2/29/2012.
- Lenz AM, Shulman D, Eugster EA, Rahhal S, Fuqua JS, Pescovitz OH, Lewis KA. Bicalutamide and third-generation aromatase inhibitors in testotoxicosis. Pediatrics. 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20713483. Accessed 2/29/2012.
- Reiter EO, Mauras N, McCormick K, Kulshreshtha B, Amrhein J, De Luca F, O'Brien S, Armstrong J, Melezinkova H. Bicalutamide plus anastrozole for the treatment of gonadotropin-independent precocious puberty in boys with testotoxicosis: a phase II, open-label pilot study (BATT). J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21158211. Accessed 2/29/2012.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Testotoxicosis. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.