See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 It may be congenital (present from birth) or acquired. Pulmonary sequestrations may be defined as intralobular or extralobular, depending on their location. Symptoms may include chronic cough, respiratory distress or infection. Treatment depends on the location and may involve surgery.Pulmonary sequestration is a rare malformation where non-functioning lung tissue is separated from the rest of the lung and supplied with blood from an unusual source, often an artery from systemic circulation.
Last updated: 4/6/2010
- Pikwer A, Gyllstedt E, Lillo-Gil R, et al.. Scand J Surg. 2006; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17066616. Accessed 4/6/2010.
- Khan AN, Aird M, Chiphang A, et al.. Pulmonary Sequestration. eMedicine. 2008; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/412554-overview. Accessed 4/6/2010.
- Kliegman. Chapter 392 - Congenital Disorders of the Lung. In: Finder JD, Michelson PH. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 18th ed.. Saunders; 2007;
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
Pediatric Pulmonary Sequestration
Pulmonary Sequestration Imaging
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pulmonary sequestration. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.