Pulmonary vein stenosis
Other Names for this Disease
- Pulmonary veins stenosis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary arterial hypertension. Surgery and catheterization to widen the narrow veins is usually a short-term solution since the obstruction typically recurs.Pulmonary vein stenosis is a very rare and serious condition in which there is a blockage in the blood vessels that bring oxygen-rich blood from the lungs back to the heart. This condition can be isolated to one vein, but often affects multiple veins. Stenosis occurs when there is an abnormal thickening and narrowing of the walls of the veins. Pulmonary vein stenosis is a progressive condition and may lead to total obstruction to a blood vessel. Most commonly, all of the pulmonary veins of one lung are affected, causing
Last updated: 9/1/2011
- Hövels-Gürich H. Congenital pulmonary veins stenosis. Orphanet. March 2003; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=3459. Accessed 9/1/2011.
- About pulmonary vein stenosis. Children's Hospital Boston. 2011; http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/Site683/mainpageS683P7.html. Accessed 9/1/2011.
On this page
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Pulmonary vein stenosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.