Other Names for this Disease
- Multiple sebaceous cysts
mutations in the KRT17 gene and appears to be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Some researchers have suggested that the condition may be a mild variant of pachyonychia congenita type 2. Treatment may include minor surgery to remove cysts and oral antibiotics or oral isotretinoin to reduce inflammation.Steatocystoma multiplex is a condition characterized by numerous skin cysts that tend to develop during puberty. Cysts most often develop on the chest, upper arms and face, but may develop all over the body in some cases. The cysts may become inflamed and cause scarring when they heal. The condition is thought to be caused by
Last updated: 6/6/2012
- Amanda Oakley. Steatocystoma multiplex. DermNet NZ. February 22, 2014; http://www.dermnetnz.org/lesions/steatocystoma-multiplex.html. Accessed 6/23/2014.
- Victor A. McKusick. Steatocystoma Multiplex. OMIM. June 9, 1997; http://omim.org/entry/184500. Accessed 6/6/2012.
- KRT17. Genetics Home Reference. August 2008; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/KRT17. Accessed 6/6/2012.
- DermNet NZ is an online resource about skin diseases developed by the New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. DermNet NZ provides information about this condition.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Steatocystoma multiplex. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus provides more information on skin conditions in general. MedlinePlus is a Web site designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Steatocystoma multiplex. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.
- Kids Skin Health, a American Academy of Dermatology's web site, provides kids, teens, and parents with information on skin conditions. Click on Kids Skin Health to access this Web site.