Thyroglossal tract cyst
Other Names for this Disease
- Thyroglossal duct cysts
- Thyroglossal duct cysts familial
- Hereditary thyroglossal duct cysts
- Familial thyroglossal duct cyst
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Surgical excision is the treatment of choice for uncomplicated thyroglossal duct cysts to prevent infection of the cyst. The Sistrunk procedure can be preformed to reduce the risk of recurrence. Infection of the cyst prior to surgery can make the removal more difficult and increase the chance for regrowth.
Last updated: 6/20/2008
- Acierno SP, Waldhausen JHT. Congenital Cervical Cysts, Sinuses and Fistulae. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2007;
- Ear, nose, and throat: Thyroglossal duct cyst. University of Virginia Health System. http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_ent/thyrgduct.cfm. Accessed 6/20/2008.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.