Other Names for this Disease
- Tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica
- Cartilaginous or bony projections into the tracheobronchial lumen
- Tracheopathia osteoplastica
submucosa of the tracheobronchial wall. The nodules protrude into the spaces inside the trachea and bronchi, which can lead to airway obstruction. Affected people may have persisting or recurrent respiratory symptoms, and/or recurrent infections. The cause of TO is not currently known. There is no specific treatment to prevent the formation of nodules. Laser therapy or removal of the nodules may be needed in some cases.Tracheobronchopathia osteoplastica (TO) is a rare condition of the large airways. It is characterized by the presence of multiple growths (nodules) made of bone and cartilage tissue, in the
Last updated: 9/8/2014
- Lazor R, Cordier JF. Tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica. Orphanet encyclopedia. June, 2004; https://www.orpha.net/data/patho/GB/uk-TO.pdf. Accessed 9/8/2014.
On this page
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Tracheobronchopathia osteoplastica. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.