Medium-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency
Other Names for this Disease
- MCAD deficiency
- Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase medium chain deficiency of
- MCADH deficiency
- ACADM deficiency
Tests & Diagnosis
On this page
MCADD is now included in many newborn screening programs. If a newborn screening result for MCADD is not in the normal range, additional testing is recommended. A diagnosis of MCADD can be made through a blood test called a plasma acylcarnitine profile and an evaluation of organic acids in the urine. The diagnosis can also be confirmed by genetic testing.
Last updated: 7/7/2014
- Simon Olpin. Medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. Orphanet. February, 2014; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?Lng=EN&Expert=42. Accessed 7/7/2014.
- The Genetic Testing Registry (GTR) provides information about the genetic tests for this condition. The intended audience for the GTR is health care providers and researchers. Patients and consumers with specific questions about a genetic test should contact a health care provider or a genetics professional.
- Orphanet lists international laboratories offering diagnostic testing for this condition.
- An ACTion (ACT) sheet is available for this condition that describes the short-term actions a health professional should follow when an infant has a positive newborn screening result. ACT sheets were developed by experts in collaboration with the American College of Medical Genetics.
- An Algorithm flowchart is available for this condition for determining the final diagnosis in an infant with a positive newborn screening result. Algorithms are developed by experts in collaboration with the American College of Medical Genetics.
- Baby's First Test is the nation's newborn screening education center for families and providers. This site provides information and resources about screening at the local, state, and national levels and serves as the Clearinghouse for newborn screening information.
- National Newborn Screening and Global Resource Center (NNSGRC) provides information and resources in the area of newborn screening and genetics to benefit health professionals, the public health community, consumers and government officials.