Other Names for this Disease
- Diarrheogenic islet cell tumor
- Pancreatic cholera
- Pancreatic VIPoma
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) tumor
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide-producing tumor
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Your QuestionMy husband was diagnosed in 1998 with VIPoma. He uses octreotide to help control the symptoms. Is there any other known treatment (other than surgery) for this rare cancer?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Treatment for VIPoma may include intravenous (IV) fluids to correct dehydration, medications such as octreotide to help control diarrhea, and surgery to remove the tumor. If the tumor has spread (metastasized) to the liver or other tissues, treatment may involve chemotherapy, radiofrequency ablation, or hepatic artery embolization.
Last updated: 3/8/2010
- Stitham SO. VIPoma. MedlinePlus Web site. September 4, 2008; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000228.htm. Accessed 3/8/2010.
- Song S, Shi R, Li B, Liu Y. Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic vasoactive intestinal peptide endocrine tumors. Pancreas. 2009 Oct;38(7):811-4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19657309 .
- Ghaferi AA, Chojnacki KA, Long WD, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ. Pancreatic VIPomas: subject review and one institutional experience. J Gastrointest Surg. 2008 Feb;12(2):382-93. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17510774 .
- Moug SJ, Leen E, Horgan PG, Imrie CW. Radiofrequency ablation has a valuable therapeutic role in metastatic VIPoma. Pancreatology. 2006;6(1-2):155-159 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16354964.
- Case CC, Wirfel K, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide-secreting tumor (VIPoma) with liver metastases: dramatic and durable symptomatic benefit from hepatic artery embolization, a case report. Med Oncol. 2002;19(3):181-187 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12482130.