Other Names for this Disease
- Autism, dementia, ataxia, and loss of purposeful hand use
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
- The International Rett Syndrome Foundation provides a list of specialty clinics for Rett syndrome.
- To find a medical professional who specializes in genetics, you can ask your doctor for a referral or you can search for one yourself. Online directories are provided by GeneTests, the American College of Medical Genetics, and the National Society of Genetic Counselors. If you need additional help, contact a GARD Information Specialist. You can also learn more about genetic consultations from Genetics Home Reference.
- The Social Security Administration has included this condition in their Compassionate Allowances Initiative. This initiative speeds up the processing of disability claims for applicants with certain medical conditions that cause severe disability. More information about Compassionate Allowances and applying for Social Security disability is available online.
- The Genetics Education Materials for School Success (GEMSS) aims to assure that all children with genetic health conditions succeed in school-life. Their Web site offers general and condition-specific education resources to help teachers and parents better understand the needs of students who have genetic conditions.