Other Names for this Disease
- Alpers diffuse degeneration of cerebral gray matter with hepatic cirrhosis
- Alpers disease
- Alpers progressive infantile poliodystrophy
- Alpers progressive sclerosing poliodystrophy
- Alpers-Huttenlocher syndrome
neurologic disorder that begins during childhood and is complicated in many instances by serious liver disease. Symptoms include increased muscle tone with exaggerated reflexes (spasticity), seizures, and loss of cognitive ability (dementia).  Most often Alpers syndrome is caused by mutations in the POLG gene. Alpers syndrome is a progressive
Last updated: 1/24/2011
- NORD. Alpers Disease. NORD: National Organization for Rare Disease. 2007; http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Alpers%20Disease. Accessed 1/20/2011.
- Cohen B, Chinnery P, Copeland W. POLG-Related Disorders. GeneReviews. March 16, 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26471/. Accessed 1/20/2011.
- Genetics Home Reference (GHR) contains information on Alpers syndrome. This website is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Alpers syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.