- Alport syndrome, X-linked
- Congenital hereditary hematuria
- Hemorrhagic familial nephritis
- Hemorrhagic hereditary nephritis
Your QuestionI have been on hemodialysis for a year as a result of Alport syndrome. My two uncles died of kidney disease associated with this condition. What treatments are available for this condition?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Other aspects of the condition are addressed as needed. For instance, surgical repair of cataracts (cataract extraction), or repair of the anterior lenticonus in the eye may be needed. Loss of hearing is likely to be permanent. Counseling and education to increase coping skills can be helpful. Learning new skills such as lip reading or sign language may be of some benefit. Hearing aids are helpful. Young men with Alport syndrome should use hearing protection in noisy environments. Genetic counseling may be recommended because of the inherited pattern of the disorder.
- Ramesh Saxena, MD, PhD. Alport Syndrome. Medscape Reference. August 12, 2013; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/238260-treatment#showall. Accessed 1/30/2014.
- Silberberg C. Alport syndrome. MedlinePlus. 2013; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000504.htm. Accessed 9/17/2015.
- Sessa A, Meroni M. Alport syndrome. Orphanet. 2007; http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?Lng=EN&Expert=63. Accessed 7/12/2011.