Tumefactive multiple sclerosis
Other Names for this Disease
- Diffuse cerebral sclerosis of Schilder
- Balo's concentric sclerosis
- Marburg variant
- Balo disease
- Baló concentric sclerosis
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 It is a rare form of multiple sclerosis (MS). Symptoms of tumefactive MS often differ from other MS cases and may include, headaches, changes in thinking, confusion, speech problems, seizures, and weakness. The cause of tumefactive MS is not known. It often develops into the relapsing-remitting form of MS. In other cases there is only one occurrence of the condition. In still others the disease process remains less clear. While there is no cure for tumefactive MS, treatments such as corticosteroids are available to decrease disease activity.Tumefactive multiple sclerosis is characterized by a tumor-like lesion larger than two centimeters and signs and symptoms similar to those of a brain tumor.
Last updated: 5/18/2016
- Tumefactive Multiple Sclerosis. Cedars-Sinai. 2016; https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Tumefactive-Multiple-Sclerosis.aspx. Accessed 5/18/2016.
- Olek MJ. Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis in adults. In: Gonzalez-Scarano F. ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; February 22, 2016; Accessed 5/18/2016.
- Hardy TA, Chataway J. Tumefactive demyelination: an approach to diagnosis and management. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013; 84:1047. Accessed 5/18/2016.
- The National MS Society offers an overview on tumefactive multiple sclerosis, including information on symptoms and treatment.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Tumefactive multiple sclerosis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.