* Not a rare disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Benign essential tremor
- Presenile tremor syndrome
- Familial essential tremor
- Tremor, hereditary essential, 1
- Hereditary essential tremor
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
The causes of essential tremor are unknown. Researchers are studying several areas (loci) on particular chromosomes that may be linked to essential tremor, but no specific genetic associations have been confirmed. Several genes, as well as environmental factors, are likely involved in an individual's risk of developing this complex condition.
Last updated: 9/12/2014
- Essential tremor. Genetics Home Reference (GHR). June 2013; http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/essential-tremor.