- Membranous obstruction of the inferior vena cava
Your QuestionMy nephew has been diagnosed with Budd-Chiari syndrome. What is the treatment for this condition?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Budd-Chiari syndrome should be considered separate from veno-occlusive disease (VOD).
- Blood-thinning (anticoagulation) medications
- Clot-busting drugs (thrombolytic treatment)
- Treatment for the liver disease, including ascites
Surgical treatments may also be considered and include:
- Angioplasty and stent placement
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)
- Venous shunt surgery
While medical therapy can be instituted for short-term, symptomatic benefit, medical therapy alone has been associated with a high 2-year mortality rate (80-85%).
In cases of severe cirrhosis liver transplant may be needed. You can view more detailed information regarding the medical and surgical options for treatment of Budd-Chiari syndrome by visiting the Medscape Reference website on Budd-Chiari syndrome treatment & managment. You may need to register to view the article, but registration is free.
- Budd Chiari Syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2007; http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/budd-chiari-syndrome/.
- Roy PK, Choudhary A, Shojamanesh H, Bragg J, Dehadrai G & Bashir S. Budd-Chiari Syndrome. Medscape Reference. December 16, 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/184430-overview.
- Shaffer EA. Budd-Chiari Syndrome. Merck Online Medical Library. 2016; http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec10/ch138/ch138d.html.
- Hepatic vein obstruction (Budd-Chiari). MedlinePlus. 2014; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000239.htm.
- Roy PK, Choudhary A, Shojamanesh H, Bragg J, Dehadrai G, Bashir S. Budd-Chiari Syndrome: Treatment & Medication. Medscape Reference. 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/184430-treatment.