Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
Other Names for this Disease
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy
On this page
The standard therapies for CIDP appear to be equally effective and include:
- intravenous immune globulin (IVIG) - adds large numbers of antibodies to the blood plasma to reduce the effect of the antibodies that are causing the problem
- glucocorticoids - help reduce inflammation and relieve symptoms
- plasma exchange - remove antibodies from the blood
- IVIG and plasma exchange may lead to a more rapid improvement in CIDP than glucocorticoid therapy, but are less likely than glucocorticoids to produce a remission
- IVIG is expensive, and its supply is sometimes limited
- Glucocorticoids are inexpensive, but chronic use is limited by common and important side effects
- Plasma exchange is expensive, invasive, and available only at specialized centers
Last updated: 11/23/2015
- Richard A Lewis. Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: Treatment and prognosis. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; October, 2015;
- Chronic inflammatory polyneuropathy. MedlinePlus. July 27, 2014; https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000777.htm.
- NINDS Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) Information Page. NINDS. November 6, 2015; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cidp/cidp.htm.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
|Generic Name||Immune Globulin (Human)|
The FDA has approved this product to be used in this manner.
|Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) to improve neuromuscular disability and impairment and for maintenance therapy to prevent relapse|
|More Information about this product||
Drug Information Portal
Medline Plus Health Information