Other Names for this Disease
- Triatrial heart
 In children, cor triatriatum may be associated with major congenital cardiac problems. In adults, it is often an isolated finding. Treatment depends upon the symptoms present and may include medical or surgical approaches.Cor triatriatum is an extremely rare congenital (present at birth) heart defect. The human heart normally has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria. The two atria are normally separated from each other by a partition called the atrial septum and the two ventricles by the ventricle septum. In cor triatriatum there is a small extra chamber above the left atrium (cor triatriatum sinistrum) or right atrium (cor triatriatum dextrum). The presence of this extra atrial chamber can cause slowed passage of the blood from the lungs to the heart and, over time, lead to features of congestive heart failure and obstruction.
Last updated: 3/21/2013
- Cor Triatriatum. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2003; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/136/viewAbstract. Accessed 3/21/2013.
- Shirani J, Acharya YR, Kalyanasundaram A, Pourmoghadam KK. Cor Triatriatum. Medscape Reference. June 2012; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/154168-overview. Accessed 3/21/2013.
- Pierre Nagib Nassar, Righab Haidar Hamdan. Cor Triatriatum Sinistrum: Classification and Imaging Modalities. Eur J Cardiovasc Med. January 2011; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3286827/. Accessed 3/21/2013.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Cor triatriatum. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.