Other Names for this Disease
- Bifid cranium
- Cranium bifidum
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
neural tube defects characterized by sac-like protrusions of the brain and the membranes that cover it through openings in the skull. These defects are caused by failure of the neural tube to close completely during fetal development. The result is a groove down the midline of the upper part of the skull, or the area between the forehead and nose, or the back of the skull. When located in the back of the skull, encephaloceles are often associated with neurological problems. Encephaloceles are usually dramatic deformities diagnosed immediately after birth; but occasionally a small encephalocele in the nasal and forehead region can go undetected. There is a genetic component to the condition; it often occurs in families with a history of spina bifida and anencephaly in other family members.Encephaloceles are rare
Last updated: 10/21/2011
- NINDS Encephaloceles Information Page. NINDS. February 2007; http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephaloceles/encephaloceles.htm. Accessed 10/21/2011.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Encephalocele. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.