- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
On this page
- reduce their weight (if obese or overweight)
- follow a balanced and healthy diet
- increase physical activity
- avoid alcohol
- avoid unnecessary medications
These are standard recommendations, but they can make a difference. They are also helpful for other conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
Individuals with other medical conditions (diabetes, high blood pressure, or elevated cholesterol) should be treated with medication as advised by their physician.
Some new treatment options are now being studied in clinical trials. These include the use of antioxidants (such as vitamin E, selenium, and betaine) and some newer antidiabetic medications (metformin, rosiglitazone, and pioglitazone) which treat insulin resistance.
- Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). 2006; http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/nash/.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.