Other Names for this Disease
- Gonococcal perihepatitis
- Perihepatitis syndrome
liver as a result of having pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Symptoms most often include pain in the upper right abdomen just below the ribs, fever, nausea, or vomiting. The symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease - pain in the lower abdomen and vaginal discharge - are often present as well. FHCS is usually caused by an infection of chlamydia or gonorrhea that leads to PID; it is not known why PID progresses to FHCS in some women. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome is treated with antibiotics.Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome (FHCS) is a condition in which a woman has swelling of the tissue covering the
Last updated: 3/26/2013
- Peter NG, Clark LR, Jaeger JR. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome: a diagnosis to consider in women with right upper quadrant pain. Cleveland Clinic journal of medicine. 2004; 71:233-239. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15055246/. Accessed 3/22/2013.
- Theofanakis CP, Kyriakidis AV. Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome. Gynecological surgery. 2011; 8:129-134. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10397-010-0642-8?LI=true#. Accessed 3/22/2013.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) has a report for patients and families about this condition. NORD is a patient advocacy organization for individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.