Other Names for this Disease
- Friedreich's ataxia
- Spinocerebellar ataxia, Friedreich
- Hereditary spinal sclerosis
- Hereditary spinal ataxia
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) has clinical care guidelines that document the diagnosis, treatment and management of Friedreich ataxia.
- GeneReviews provides current, expert-authored, peer-reviewed, full-text articles describing the application of genetic testing to the diagnosis, management, and genetic counseling of patients with specific inherited conditions.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Friedreich ataxia. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
- The Collaborative Clinical Research Network in Friedreich's Ataxia (CCRN in FA) is an international network of clinical research centers that work together to advance treatments and clinical care for individuals with Friedreich ataxia. Patients can contact the nearest center to learn about the studies and clinical services being offered.
- The Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tool (RePORT) provides access to reports, data, and analyses of research activities at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), including information on NIH expenditures and the results of NIH-supported research. Although these projects may not conduct studies on humans, you may want to contact the investigators to learn more. To search for studies, enter the disease name in the "Text Search" box. Then click "Submit Query".