See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
 It may be acute or chronic (coming on gradually), and may occur on its own (primary) or be caused by another condition (secondary). Signs and symptoms may depend on the type and cause of the condition and may include blood in the urine; foamy urine; swelling of the face, eyes, or other body parts; abdominal pain; high blood pressure; fatigue; and/or other symptoms. If the condition is severe or prolonged, the kidneys can become damaged. It may be caused by a variety of infections and diseases, and sometimes the cause is unknown. Treatment depends on the cause, type and severity of the condition.Glomerulonephritis is a type of kidney disease in which there is inflammation of the glomeruli, the tiny filters that remove excess waste and fluids from the blood.
Last updated: 7/17/2012
- Glomerulonephritis. Mayo Clinic. April 2, 2011; http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glomerulonephritis/DS00503. Accessed 7/17/2012.
- Glomerulonephritis. PubMed Health. September 20, 2011; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001515/. Accessed 7/17/2012.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library provides information on this condition for patients and caregivers.
- The National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC), part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), conducts and supports research on a broad spectrum of diseases affecting public health. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The National Kidney Foundation offers an information page on Glomerulonephritis. Click on the link to view this resource.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Glomerulonephritis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.