Other Names for this Disease
- Acute autoimmune peripheral neuropathy
- Acute idiopathic demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Acute immune-mediated polyneuropathy
- Acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy
Your QuestionMy mother was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome after having a flu shot in 2001. Does this make me more at risk of developing Guillain-Barre syndrome if I have a flu shot?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Although the triggers of Guillain-Barre syndrome remain unclear, this condition is considered to be a complex disorder caused by both genetic and environmental factors. Only in a few rare cases have multiple members of a family developed Guillain-Barre syndrome.
Last updated: 11/2/2009
- Guillain-Barre syndrome, familial. OMIM database. April 8, 2009; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=139393. Accessed 11/2/2009.