Factor XII deficiency
Other Names for this Disease
- HAF deficiency
- Hageman factor deficiency
- F12 deficiency
- Coagulation factor 12 deficiency
- Factor 12 deficiency
 Factor XII deficiency is caused by mutations in the F12 gene. It is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner.Factor XII deficiency is an inherited disorder that affects a protein (factor XII) involved in blood clotting. While a lack of factor XII does not cause affected individuals to bleed abnormally, the blood takes longer than normal to clot in a test tube. The condition is usually discovered when prolonged clotting is noticed in the process of running other laboratory tests.
Last updated: 6/24/2011
- Dugdale DC, Chen YB. Factor XII (Hageman factor) deficiency. MedlinePlus. 2011; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000545.htm. Accessed 6/24/2011.
- Factor XII Deficiency. Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM). 2010; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/omim/234000. Accessed 6/24/2011.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- MeSH® (Medical Subject Headings) is a terminology tool used by the National Library of Medicine. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Factor XII deficiency. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.