Black hairy tongue
* Not a rare disease
Other Names for this Disease
- Hairy tongue
- Lingua villosa
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
- Gary L Stafford. Hairy Tongue. Medscape. October 22, 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1075886-overview.
- L Radfar and the AAOM Web Writing Group. Hairy Tongue. American Academy of Oral Medicine. May 13, 2015; http://www.aaom.com/hairy-tongue.
- Grigoriy E Gurvits, Amy Tan. Black hairy tongue syndrome. World Journal of Gastroenterology. August 21, 2014; 20(31):10845-10850. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4138463/.
- The American Academy of Oral Medicine, the membership organization for clinicians providing oral and dental health, provides information about Black hairy tongue
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Black hairy tongue. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.