Other Names for this Disease
- Parathyroid, underactivity of
- Hypoparathyroidism, idiopathic (subtype)
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
hyperthyroidism, metabolic alkalosis, DiGeorge syndrome, and type I polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. The goal of treatment is to restore the calcium and mineral balance in the body.Hypoparathyroidism is is an endocrine disorder in which the parathyroid glands in the neck do not produce enough parathyroid hormone (PTH). Common signs and symptoms include abdominal pain, brittle nails, cataracts, dry hair and skin, muscle cramps, tetany, pain in the face, legs, and feet, seizures, tingling sensation, and weakened tooth enamel (in children). It may be caused by injury to the parathyroid glands (e.g., during surgery). Other causes, include low blood magnesium levels, a side effect of radioactive iodine treatment for
Last updated: 3/10/2011
- Hypoparathyroidism. MedlinePlus. 2010; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000385.htm. Accessed 3/10/2011.
- The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) provides information related to the health of children, adults, and families. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
Hypoparathyroidism in Emergency Medicine
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Hypoparathyroidism. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.