Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis
Other Names for this Disease
- Hemosiderosis, pulmonary, with deficiency of gamma-a globulin
- Alveolar hypoventilation syndrome
- Pulmonary hemosiderosis
On this page
The treatment of idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis is aimed at managing acute crises and providing long-term therapy. Acute therapies may include oxygen supplementation, blood transfusion, supportive respiratory therapy, mechanical ventilatory support, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and immunosuppressive therapy. The use of immunosuppressive therapy for long-term management remains controversial.
More detailed information about the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis can be accessed through eMedicine. Click on the following links to learn more about Treatment & Management and Medications.
Last updated: 7/6/2011
- Napchan GD, Talmaciu I. Hemosiderosis. eMedicine. 2009; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1002002-overview. Accessed 7/6/2011.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.