Other Names for this Disease
- Septic arthritis
 Certain bacteria can cause a form of infectious arthritis called reactive arthritis, which appears to be caused by the immune system reacting to bacteria, rather than by the infection itself. In reactive arthritis, joint inflammation develops weeks, months or even years after the infection. Reactive arthritis happens most commonly after infections of the genital and gastrointestinal tracts. To diagnose infectious arthritis, your health care provider may do tests of your blood, urine, and joint fluid. Treatment includes medicines and sometimes surgery.Infectious arthritis is joint pain, soreness, stiffness and swelling caused by a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection that spreads from another part of the body. Depending on the type of infection, one or more joints may be affected.
Last updated: 3/31/2012
- Infectious Arthritis. MedlinePlus. March 2012; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/infectiousarthritis.html. Accessed 3/31/2012.
- Infectious Arthritis. InteliHealth, Harvard Medical School. June 2008; http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtPrint/WSIHW000/9339/10181.html?hide=t&k=basePrint. Accessed 3/31/2012.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Infectious arthritis. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Infectious arthritis. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.