Jumping Frenchmen of Maine
Other Names for this Disease
- Exaggerated startle reflex
- Startle disease
- 'jumpers' of Maine
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Jumping Frenchmen of Maine is a condition characterized by an unusually extreme startle response. The exact cause of the condition is unknown. One theory is that the disorder occurs because of an extreme conditioned response to a particular situation influenced by cultural factors. It was first identified during the late nineteenth century in Maine and the Canadian province of Quebec in an isolated population of lumberjacks of French Canadian descent. Jumping Frenchmen of Maine is a type of startle-matching syndrome. These syndromes have been described in many different parts of the world.
Last updated: 11/20/2015
- Simons RC. Jumping Frenchmen of Maine. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2013; http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/jumping-frenchmen-of-maine/. Accessed 11/20/2015.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) has a report for patients and families about this condition. NORD is a patient advocacy organization for individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Jumping Frenchmen of Maine. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.