Other Names for this Disease
- Kikuchi necrotizing lymphadenitis
- Nosocomial Kikuchi's disease
- Kikuchi's disease
- Kikuchi-Fujimoto's disease
- Histiocytic necrotising lymphadenitis
lymphadenopathy, mild fever, and night sweats. Less common symptoms include weight loss, nausea, vomiting, and sore throat. While the exact cause of this condition is unknown, infectious and autoimmune causes have been suggested. Kikuchi disease generally resolves on its own within one to four months, with or without intervention. However, treatments are available to relieve some of the associated signs and symptoms.Kikuchi disease is a benign (non-cancerous) condition of the lymph nodes. It is usually characterized by cervical (neck)
Last updated: 3/18/2016
- Michael J Richards, MD, FRACP. Kikuchi disease. UpToDate. May 2015; http://www.uptodate.com/contents/kikuchi-disease.
- John Boone. Kikuchi disease. Medscape. February 2016; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/210752-overview.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) has a report for patients and families about this condition. NORD is a patient advocacy organization for individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Monarch Initiative brings together data about this condition from humans and other species to help physicians and biomedical researchers. Monarch’s tools are designed to make it easier to compare the signs and symptoms (phenotypes) of different diseases and discover common features. This initiative is a collaboration between several academic institutions across the world and is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Visit the website to explore the biology of this condition.
- Orphanet is a European reference portal for information on rare diseases and orphan drugs. Access to this database is free of charge.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Kikuchi disease. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.