Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy
Other Names for this Disease
- Limb girdle muscular dystrophy
- Epidermolysa bullosa simplex with muscular dystrophy
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 1A
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 1B
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 1C
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 1D
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Your QuestionIs there any treatment available for limb-girdle muscular dystrophy? Are there any effective medications used to treat the condition?
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Unfortunately, no definitive treatments or effective medications for the limb-girdle muscular dystrophies (LGMDs) currently exist. Management depends on each individual and the specific type of LGMD that the individual has. However, a general approach to managing LGMD has been proposed, based on the typical progression and complications of affected individuals. This approach may include: weight control to avoid obesity; physical therapy and stretching exercises to promote mobility and prevent contractures (fixed tightening of the muscles); use of mechanical aids such as canes, walkers, orthotics, and wheelchairs as needed to help ambulation and mobility; monitoring and surgical intervention as needed for orthopedic complications such as foot deformity and scoliosis; monitoring respiratory function and use of respiratory aids when needed; monitoring for evidence of cardiomyopathy in the types of LGMD with known occurrence of cardiac involvement; and social and emotional support and stimulation to maximize a sense of social involvement and productivity, and to reduce the sense of social isolation common in these disorders.
Last updated: 6/20/2011
- Erynn Gordon, Elena Pegoraro, Eric P Hoffman. Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Overview. GeneReviews. July 23, 2009; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1408/#lgmd-overview.Management. Accessed 6/17/2011.