Mal de debarquement
Other Names for this Disease
- Mal de debarquement syndrome
- Sickness of disembarkment
- Disembarkment syndrome
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
Treatment options for mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS) are limited. Most drugs that work for other forms of dizziness do not work for MdDS. On some cases, medications classified as vestibular suppressants, such as anti-depressants and anti-seizure medications, may be used. Customized vestibular therapy like optokinetic stimulation has been effective in some cases. In recent years, a renewed interest in understanding the underlying cause of MdDS has led to new treatment options, including repetitive cranial stimulation. More studies into these treatment options are needed.
Last updated: 11/26/2015
- Cha YH. Mal de debarquement syndrome: new insights. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2015 Apr; 1343:63-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25726862. Accessed 11/26/2015.
- Dai M, Cohen B, Smouha E, Cho C. Readaptation of the Vestibulo-Ocular Reflex Relieves the Mal De Debarquement Syndrome. Front Neurol. 2014 Jul 15; 5:124. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4097942/. Accessed 11/26/2015.
- Cha YH, Cui Y, Baloh RW. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. Otol Neurotol. 2013 Jan; 34(1):175-179. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529198/. Accessed 11/26/2015.
- Shou G, Yuan H, Urbano D, Cha YH, Ding L. Changes of symptom and EEG in mal de debarquement syndrome patients after repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation over bilateral prefrontal cortex: a pilot study. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014; 2014:4294-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25570942. Accessed 11/26/2015.
- Hain TC. Mal de Debarquement. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2012; http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/mal-de-debarquement/.
- Finding Treatment Information - A video developed by GARD Information Specialists that explains how you can find information about treatment for a rare disease.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Mal de debarquement. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.