Other Names for this Disease
ureter, pelvis, bones, lungs, testes, gastrointestinal tract, skin, and kidney. Malakoplakia of the kidney is often associated with chronic kidney infection and obstruction. E. coli is the most common organism found in urine samples. Common symptoms of malakoplakia of the kidney include flank pain and signs of active kidney infection. It may affect one or both kidneys and can cause symptoms similar to that of kidney failure.Careful studies of the involved tissues can help to distinguish malakoplakia of the kidney from similar conditions, namely xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis and megalocytic interstitial nephritis.Malakoplakia is a rare chronic inflammatory disease. It commonly involves the urinary tract, but may also involve the prostate,
Last updated: 4/2/2009
- Tolkoff-Rubin NE, Rubin RH, Contran RS. Urinary Tract Infection, Pyelonephritis, and Reflux Nephropathy. In: Brenner BM, Levine SA. Brenner & Rector's THE KIDNEY 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: 2008;
- Kapasi H, Roberstson S, Futter N. Diagnosis of renal malacoplakia by fine needle aspiration cytology. A case report. Acta Cytol. 1998 Nov-Dec;
- Krupp G et al. Tumefactive megalocytic interstitial nephritis in a patient with Escherichia coli bacteremia. Am J Kidney Dis. 1995 Jun;
- MedlinePlus provides more information on urinary tract infections. Because malakoplakia is often associated with chronic urinary tract infections, you may find this information to be helpful. MedlinePlus is a Web site designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions.
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), provides information on chronic kidney disease that you may find helpful. Click on the link above to view this information.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Malakoplakia. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.