Other Names for this Disease
blood counts). Signs and symptoms associated with MDS include dizziness, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, bruising and bleeding, frequent infections, and headaches. In some cases, MDS may progress to bone marrow failure or an acute leukemia. The exact cause of MDS is unknown. It sometimes runs in families, but no disease-causing gene has been identified. Treatment depends on the affected individual's age, general health, and type of MDS and may include red cell and/or platelet transfusions and antibiotics.Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are a rare group of blood disorders characterized by abnormal development of blood cells within the bone marrow. Individuals with MDS have abnormally low blood cell levels (low
Last updated: 3/23/2012
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes. NORD. March 15, 2012; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/1139/viewAbstract. Accessed 3/23/2012.
- General Information About Myelodysplastic Syndromes. NCI. March 16, 2012; http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/myelodysplastic/Patient. Accessed 3/23/2012.
- MedlinePlus was designed by the National Library of Medicine to help you research your health questions, and it provides more information about this topic.
- The National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) is a federation of more than 130 nonprofit voluntary health organizations serving people with rare disorders. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Myelodysplastic syndromes. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.