Other Names for this Disease
- NPS 1
- Turner-Kieser syndrome
- Fong disease
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
Your QuestionI have nail-patella syndrome. Can you tell me if the risk for pre-eclampsia in pregnancy is increased significantly for a woman over the age of 35? This will be my second pregnancy and I did not have any issues with my first child except for a minimal amount of proteinuria at 20 weeks.
We have identified the following information that we hope you find helpful. If you still have questions, please contact us.
Questions on this page
Although age is only one of the risk factors for developing pre-eclampsia, it appears that the risk is highest for pregnant women younger than 20 and older than 40.
Last updated: 2/2/2016
Yes. In pregnancy, women with nail-patella syndrome appear to have an increased risk of pre-eclampsia. Kidney problems may present during (or be exacerbated by) pregnancy. This should be considered when dealing with pregnant women who are affected by nail-patella syndrome, whether or not they have diagnosed renal abnormalities. Such pregnancies may be regarded as high risk and should be managed appropriately.
Last updated: 2/2/2016
- Preeclampsia. Mayo Clinic. July 2014; http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/preeclampsia/DS00583/DSECTION=risk-factors.
- Kee-Hak Lim, MD. Preeclampsia. Medscape Reference. December 2015; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1476919-overview#a1.
- Preeclampsia and High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. September 2014; http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Preeclampsia-and-High-Blood-Pressure-During-Pregnancy#occur.
- Sweeney E, Fryer A, Mountford R, Green A, McIntosh I. Nail patella syndrome: a review of the phenotype aided by developmental biology. J Med Genet. March 2003; 40(3):153-162.
- Elizabeth Sweeney, MB ChB, FRCP, DRCOG, MD, Julie E Hoover-Fong, MD, PhD, and Iain McIntosh, PhD. Nail-Patella Syndrome. GeneReviews. November 2014; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1132/.
- Julie Hoover-Fong, MD, PhD, FACMG. Genetics of Nail-Patella Syndrome. Medscape Reference. November 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/947391-overview.