Niemann-Pick disease type A
Other Names for this Disease
- Sphingomyelin lipidosis
- Sphingomyelinase deficiency
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
On this page
- A pulmonologist for respiratory problems
- A cardiologist for heart problems
- Liver and spleen specialists
- Physical therapists
- A gastroenterologist
- Learning specialists
You can learn more about ongoing research efforts to better understand the natural history of this condition and identify treatment options in the Research section of our web page.
Last updated: 4/17/2014
- Niemann Pick Disease. National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). 2006; http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/93/viewAbstract. Accessed 4/17/2014.
- Treatment Options for NPA. National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation, Inc.. http://www.nnpdf.org/npdisease_07.html. Accessed 4/17/2014.
- ClinicalTrials.gov lists trials that are studying or have studied Niemann-Pick disease type A. Click on the link to go to ClinicalTrials.gov to read descriptions of these studies.
- The Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tool (RePORT) provides access to reports, data, and analyses of research activities at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), including information on NIH expenditures and the results of NIH-supported research. Although these projects may not conduct studies on humans, you may want to contact the investigators to learn more. To search for studies, enter the disease name in the "Text Search" box. Then click "Submit Query".