Other Names for this Disease
- Pediatric autoimmune disorders associated with Streptococcus infections
- Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections
- Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with Streptococcus infections
See Disclaimer regarding information on this site. Some links on this page may take you to organizations outside of the National Institutes of Health.
obsessive-compulsive disorder or a tic disorder (i.e. Tourette syndrome), following a group A streptococcal infection (strep infection). Although the exact underlying cause of PANDAS is unknown, scientists suspect that it may occur when a strep infection triggers an abnormal immune response which mistakenly attacks the tissues of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Treatment for PANDAS is symptomatic and may include medications and cognitive behavioral therapy.PANDAS is an acronym for "Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections." It describes the abrupt onset or worsening of symptoms in children who have
Last updated: 3/31/2015
- Michael E Pichichero, MD. PANDAS: Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder associated with group A streptococci. UptoDate. July 2013; Accessed 3/30/2015.
- Information About PANDAS. National Institute of Mental Health. Accessed 3/30/2015.
- Williams KA, Swedo SE. Post-infectious autoimmune disorders: Sydenham's chorea, PANDAS and beyond. Brain Res. October 2014; [epub ahead of print]:Accessed 3/31/2015.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about PANDAS. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
- The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is dedicated to understanding, treating, and preventing mental illnesses through basic research on the brain and behavior, and through clinical, epidemiological, and services research. Click on the link to view information on this topic.
- The PANDAS Network offers an information page on PANDAS. Please click on the link to access this resource.