Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration
cerebellum. PCD occurs most often in individuals with the following cancers: ovarian cancer, cancer of the uterus, breast cancer, small-cell lung cancer, and Hodgkin lymphoma. Symptoms of PCD may include dizziness, loss of coordination, blurred vision, nystagmus, ataxia, and speech difficulties.Paraneoplastic syndromes are a group of rare disorders that include paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration (PCD). Paraneoplastic syndromes are thought to result from an abnormal immune response to an underlying (and often undetected) malignant tumor. PCD is a rare, non-metastatic complication of cancer. PCD is typically thought to be caused by antibodies generated against tumor cells. Instead of just attacking the cancer cells, the cancer-fighting antibodies also attack normal cells in the
Last updated: 5/11/2015
- Mehdi, Abbas. Paraneoplastic Cerebellar Degeneration. Medscape. Nov. 4, 2014; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1156965-overview. Accessed 5/11/2015.
- Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. April 30, 2014; http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/paraneoplastic-syndromes/basics/definition/con-20028459. Accessed 5/11/2015.
Your Questions Answeredby the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
Please contact us with your questions about Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration. We will answer your question and update these pages with new resources and information.
On this page
- Medscape Reference provides information on this topic. You may need to register to view the medical textbook, but registration is free.
- The Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) is a catalog of human genes and genetic disorders. Each entry has a summary of related medical articles. It is meant for health care professionals and researchers. OMIM is maintained by Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- PubMed is a searchable database of medical literature and lists journal articles that discuss Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration. Click on the link to view a sample search on this topic.